Born in 1909 in Turin, (she celebrated her 100th birthday last year) she is the oldest living Noble laureate.
Despite her father’s objections that pursuing a career in medicine would interfere with her duties as a wife and mother, she graduated from the University of Turin in 1936. During the German occupation in Italy, because of her Jewish ancestry, she was forced to go into hiding in Florence. But this didn’t stop her from continuing her work in a home laboratory she set up in her bedroom.
In 1947 she accepted a post at Washington University in the U.S., with the zoologist Viktor Hamburger, who was studying the growth of nerve tissue in chick embryos. Although she was only supposed to stay there for a semester, she prolonged her stay for thirty years, accepting the job of professor. There she did most of the research and discoveries for which she was later awarded.After leaving Washington University she continued working in the field at the Institute of Cell Biology in Rome. In 1988, after being awarded with the Nobel prize along with her collaborator Stanley Cohen, she published her autobiography, ‘In praise of imperfection’. In 2001 she was appointed a senator for life by the President of Italy.
I decided to make my post about this exceptional scientist after seeing a power-point presentation of an interview done by her in 2005. Here you will find the text of that interview. I really recommend you read it. I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I did and you will see how deeply inspiring her attitude to life is.
Juli, she is amazing!
ReplyDeleteAlthough her name rang a bell, I didn't really know her, and now I cannot believe that interview I've just read was done to a 96 (?) year-old woman. Her answers are amazing. She's really inspiring.
Thanks for sharing this!